clang-16 rollout

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri May 12 13:02:22 AEST 2023

On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 10:36:38PM -0500, Patrick Williams wrote:

> There are a few pervasive issues related to clang-tidy-16 that we are
> still investigating.  The most common one, which affects many
> repositories  is an issue in Boost that looks something like this (but not
> always io_uring):
>
> ```
> /usr/local/include/boost/asio/detail/impl/io_uring_descriptor_service.ipp:109:3: error: Called C++ object pointer is null [clang-analyzer-core.CallAndMessage,-warnings-as-errors]
> ```

All known issues except for bmcweb should be resolved now.  We ended up
working around the above error with a change in sdbusplus[1].

> The bmcweb repository has a big set of clang-tidy issues and I've been
> working on fixing some of them [1].

I have the majority of the bmcweb-specific clang-tidy issues resolved
now[2], including one we had to patch boost in CI[3,4], but there are
still a few more minor fixes to be made.

[1]: https://github.com/openbmc/sdbusplus/commit/fdfd3af1e7f7a8e4d0caee3edfaa12cd53cd0d17
[2]: https://gerrit.openbmc.org/q/status:open+project:openbmc/bmcweb+after:2023-05-10+(author:patrick%2540stwcx.xyz+OR+author:ed%2540tanous.net)
[3]: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc-build-scripts/commit/876ea1efac0970372f956971540fcbb9e3b06634
[4]: https://github.com/williamspatrick/beast/commit/98f8b1fbd059a35754c2c7b2841769cf8d021272