Plans regarding PECI sensors and PCIe inventory with upstream Linux

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 00:14:40 AEDT 2023

Hello,

Recently OpenBMC switched to newer Linux version which got upstream
support for the PECI bus, with CPU and DIMM modules temperature
sensors reported via it. I assume this is essential for all
Intel-based server motherboards as monitoring CPU temperature and
spinning fans accordingly is one of the core BMC functionalities.

However, I wasn't able to find[0] any sign that this code can actually
be used in OpenBMC. intelcpusensor daemon exits early as the upstream
code doesn't implement the IOCTLs for direct userspace bus
operations. Is there any work planned to make it compatible, or was
some other way chosen?

Another related question is that peci-pcie daemon used for enumerating
host PCIe devices can no longer be used due to the same reason, is
there some replacement in the works? Where can I track its
development?

[0] https://gerrit.openbmc.org/q/project:openbmc/dbus-sensors+message:intelcpusensor

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com