Questions about OpenBMC

Angela_Wang at compal.com Angela_Wang at compal.com
Tue Feb 14 14:26:50 AEDT 2023

Dear Sir or Madam,

Greetings. We are interested in incorporating OpenBMC into our commercial product/service, and we are studying OpenBMC’s licensing policy as attached, which is downloaded from https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/LICENSE.

To make sure we understand the terms and conditions correctly, may we seek your clarification for below 2 points?

1.      Logo: in Section 2-b-2 it says “Patent and trademark rights are not licensed under this Public License.”, thus to our understanding, we (licensee) are not allowed to use OpenBMC’s logo because the logo is one kind of trademark and belongs to the licensor. For example, when we adopt the interface (see below) into our commercial product/service, we should remove this particular OpenBMC logo “[cid:image003.jpg at 01D94067.39FA3B90]” and replace it with our own logo/service mark. On the other hand, we should indicate (for example put a copyright statement in our product/service description) that our commercial product/service incorporating codes which is under GitHub’s copyright authorization. Is this understanding correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D94067.39FA3B90][cid:image009.jpg at 01D94067.39FA3B90]

2.      Pricing: from Section 2-b-3 we understand that we are allowed to sell our commercial product/service which incorporates GitHub’s OpenBMC code on a royalty-free basis. There is no need to report to GitHub our sales amount, and GitHub will not audit our sales record either.  As for the pricing listed in https://github.com/pricing, it refers to the extra technical support provided by GitHub, and we will need to pay only if we need these extra technical support service from GitHub. Is this understanding correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Your response is appreciated.

Regards,
Angela