ipmitool reading i2c devices

Patton, Schuyler spatton at ti.com
Thu Sep 29 16:06:55 AEST 2022

Hi all,
I am trying to use an ipmitool running on a Linux PC and trying to read the i2c bus on a board running openbmc. This is the command I am using:
Ipmitool -v -I lanplus -H <ip address> -C 17 -U root -P 0penBmc i2c bus=1 0x40 2

Looking at the apphandler.cpp code I see that a white list is required. I added one based on the format described in the cpp source file. This is the error I am seeing:

I2C Master Write-Read command failed: Invalid command.

Othe ipmitool commands work such as bmc info.  Is there additional config that I need to do to be able to read a device on an I2C bus?

Thanks and Regards,
Schuyler Patton