SATA hotplug notifications for BMC inventory updates

Johnathan Mantey johnathanx.mantey at intel.com
Sat Sep 10 00:12:21 AEST 2022

On 9/9/22 01:32, Paul Fertser wrote:
> Hello Johnathan,
>
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2022 at 07:36:08AM -0700, Johnathan Mantey wrote:
<snip>
>> Paul, this question now crosses a demarcation line. As a contract
>> worker I'm not comfortable discussing the topics you raise in that
>> paragraph.
> I'm not fluent in business slang so I take it you mean the feature
> might be nice but Intel doesn't want the OpenBMC community to have
> it. Well, too bad.

What I'm trying to convey is that as a contract worker I have access to
some information I may not be authorized to divulge. This is a public
forum, and I need to tread carefully so that I don't divulge information
that impacts my employment.

The starting point for this conversation was HDD insertion/removal event
detection.
Which then evolved to HDD MFR/Model Num access.
Which then evolved into RAID controllers.

It may turn out that Intel does want this feature as part of OBMC.
It may turn out that Intel is amenable to the community implementing a
RAID/BMC feature.

The transition to RAID controller has initiated an investigation into
what Intel may be willing to enable regarding OBMC.

--
Johnathan Mantey
Senior Software Engineer
Email: johnathanx.mantey at intel.com