SATA hotplug notifications for BMC inventory updates

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 21:11:52 AEST 2022

Hi,

An OCP Tioga Pass platform features up to 4 drive bays for SATA
storage accessible from the front and fully hot-pluggable. The
backplane is usually connected directly to Intel C620 PCH (aka
Lewisburg).

It would be nice to have information about the currently attached
devices (model and serial number) available in BMC inventory but what
are the ways to get this information?

Is it possible there's some additional module in the all-mighty ME
that can supply BMC with the current state of PCH SATA controller? Or
is there some other sensible mechanism other than talking to UEFI on
startup (which would mean BMC is showing stale and thus misleading
data till the next reboot)?

Even though the question is quite specific we'd appreciate any related
insights on the topic; there must be some side-channels to RAID
controllers and such for BMC to be obtaining essential information but
so far I wasn't able to find any documentation about this.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com