Adding support for custom SEL records

Bills, Jason M jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 26 07:18:39 AEDT 2022

On 10/24/2022 2:19 PM, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 12:03 PM Brad Bishop
> <bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is helpful, thanks Ed.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 10:59:51AM -0700, Ed Tanous wrote:
>> >From what I recall, the requirements were:
>>> - Ability to store 4000 logs in a rotating buffer (original desire was
>>> 10,000, but 4000 was picked as a middle-ground that could be
>>> implemented).
>>
>> A DBus object based implementation could meet this requirement, right?
>>
>>> - Ability to log 100+ entries per second, including when buffers get
>>> overwritten.
>>
>> I guess I would not be shocked if DBus objects + serialization might not
>> be able to sustain this rate of incoming logs.  Maybe it depends on the
>> filesystem or how the data is serialized in the filesystem.  The DBus
>> approach creates many files.  Obviously the syslog approach is only
>> using a couple of files.
>>
>> Do you think this kind of requirement is typical?  Quoting Patrick from
>> another thread here:
>
> There are cases where every sensor will cross a threshold at the same
> moment (generally because a threshold was changed).  Is this a
> "typical" use case, probably not, but if it's trivial to DOS the BMC
> with events with a couple commands, it's not great.
>

>>> don't think anyone is intending to create 10k events in the span of
>>> a minute
>
> Intending to, no.  Created in an error case, or in the case of a
> failing piece of hardware, it can happen.
>

>> 100/s is only 6k in a minute but that is getting pretty close...
>>
>>> - (abstract) Log storage should be aware of hardware limitations (SPI
>>> flash cell write endurance) and allow writing N logs per minute for
>>> the lifetime of the machine without hardware failure.  (I forget the
>>> value of N).
>>
>> Do you think the rsyslog implementation does better at this?  Why?
>
> @Jason?  I know there were a lot of worries about write expansion (N
> byte sel log turning into 100XN bytes of JSON) wearing out flash
> faster, and having some interactions with jffs2.

Yes.  We ran into this issue both with trying to use individual files
per SEL entry and with persisting the journal.  At the time, we only had
4MB of SPI flash space for persistent storage, and both of those methods
quickly filled that up.

We now have 8MB, but only a small part of that can be dedicated to
persisting logs, so we still have a requirement that persisting many
logs should not consume too much persistent storage space.