Adding support for custom SEL records

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Tue Oct 25 06:03:22 AEDT 2022

This is helpful, thanks Ed.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 10:59:51AM -0700, Ed Tanous wrote:
>From what I recall, the requirements were:
>- Ability to store 4000 logs in a rotating buffer (original desire was
>10,000, but 4000 was picked as a middle-ground that could be
>implemented).

A DBus object based implementation could meet this requirement, right?

>- Ability to log 100+ entries per second, including when buffers get
>overwritten.

I guess I would not be shocked if DBus objects + serialization might not
be able to sustain this rate of incoming logs.  Maybe it depends on the
filesystem or how the data is serialized in the filesystem.  The DBus
approach creates many files.  Obviously the syslog approach is only
using a couple of files.

Do you think this kind of requirement is typical?  Quoting Patrick from
another thread here:

>don't think anyone is intending to create 10k events in the span of
>a minute

100/s is only 6k in a minute but that is getting pretty close...

>- (abstract) Log storage should be aware of hardware limitations (SPI
>flash cell write endurance) and allow writing N logs per minute for
>the lifetime of the machine without hardware failure.  (I forget the
>value of N).

Do you think the rsyslog implementation does better at this?  Why?

>- "ipmitool sensor list" should return the results from a full sel log
>in less than 1 second (renegotiated from 200ms, the faster the
>better).

Ok, again I would not be shocked if DBus objects weren't able to deliver
on this.

>- The logging implementation should be able to support a well-formed,
>version controlled, Redfish MessageRegistry to the DMTF
>specifications.

Do you think a DBus object based implementation could meet this
requirement?

>- The logging implementation should be able to implement a
>well-formed, stable, and ACID compliant IPMI SEL command
>implementation.

Do you think a DBus object based implementation could meet this
requirement?

>I don't believe the current DBus implementation can meet the previous
>requirements,

The motivation of my questions above is to understand which requirements
cannot be met by something based on DBus objects.

Thanks,
brad