Adding support for custom SEL records

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Thu Oct 20 01:43:03 AEDT 2022

Thanks for the reply Lei Yu.

On Wed, 2022-10-19 at 10:05 +0800, Lei Yu wrote:

> 2. The rsyslog way puts the SEL in a file and thus there are no DBus
> objects, which makes it harder to work with other services.

Are there other services that work with IPMI sels?  I know there is a
Redfish SEL log.  Anything else?

> Indeed, but the rsyslog way is not really (and fully) upstream.

I'm trying to determine which implementation is a better fit for me
based on the technical merits of the solution, not based on what
repositories the source code is in.  If that ends up being the rsyslog
approach, I'd consider helping to move the code and make it fully
upstream.

In the hopes that it generates additional information about the
motivations behind the differing implementations, allow me to ask a
somewhat rhetorical question.  Jason, to avoid confusing OpenBMC users
by having to select from two different SEL implementations with pros and
cons of each that are not obvious, would you accept patches that remove
the rsyslog based implementation from intel-ipmi-oem (provided the Intel
metadata is also updated to use the alternative)?  If not, why not?

Thanks,
brad