[Phishing Risk] [External] AST2500 u-boot breakage with CONFIG_RAM=y

Zhang Jian zhangjian.3032 at bytedance.com
Sat Oct 1 13:21:16 AEST 2022

Hi Zev,

I had some similar questions about this .

On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 5:09 AM Zev Weiss <zev at bewilderbeest.net> wrote:

> Hello u-boot/Aspeed folks,
>
> I recently set about getting e3c246d4i switched over to
> u-boot-aspeed-sdk from the old u-boot branch, but after building and
> installing it I ran into some odd misbehavior.
>
> It's not entirely consistent -- sometimes the kernel hand-off goes
> alright but then the kernel's boot sequence hangs a few seconds in,
Load the kernel is slow, will cause my 22's watchdog timeout.
> sometimes it hangs before I get any kernel console output at all, and
I disabled the watchdog, and always hang in the kernel.
[    2.382046] ftgmac100 1e660000.ethernet: Read MAC address 2e:38:9e:24:b0:7c p
[    2.389968] ftgmac100 1e660000.ethernet: Using NCSI interface
[    2.397721] ftgmac100 1e660000.ethernet eth0: irq 20, mapped at (ptrval)
[    2.405224] ftgmac100 1e680000.ethernet: Read MAC address d2:8a:d4:b8:26:da
> sometimes I end up with the following error message from u-boot as it
> loads the kernel FIT image:
>
>    fdt_find_or_add_subnode: chosen: FDT_ERR_BADSTRUCTURE
>    ERROR: /chosen node create failed
>     - must RESET the board to recover.
>
>    FDT creation failed! hanging...### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
>
> Additionally, if I try to boot a FIT image loaded via TFTP I
> consistently get checksum-mismatch errors on the kernel subimage portion
> (though the exact same FIT image loaded from flash passes that check).
>
> I wasn't able to reproduce any misbehavior in qemu, unfortunately.
>
> I had previously tested the 2019.04 u-boot branch on this platform and
> not hit any problems like this, so I started bisecting between the
> version that had worked before and the current version, which landed me
> on Joel's recent patch adding CONFIG_RAM=y to the evb-ast2500 defconfig
> (commit 0545d7325ff0cb1a77dc6f8007f74f415840fd90).  I confirmed that
> setting CONFIG_RAM=n gets things working normally again.

Me too.