Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday October 12

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Nov 22 01:59:22 AEDT 2022

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 09:31:31AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-11-21 at 07:19 -0600, Patrick Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 08:00:25AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:

> Right, but if I follow the instructions below, I'm not registering with
> your servers, I'm redirected to the main discord.com site.

"Server" is a bit of a misnomer with Discord.  They call any instance a
"server" but they run all the infrastructure.  "Our server" is the
"Discord instance, hosted by Discord, that has the openbmc community in
it".

> > The only one that requires a verified phone number is "Highest".
> >
> > To test out what you are describing I did the following:
> >
> >    - Navigated to our invite link under Incognito (to avoid Discord
> >      seeing my normal login):
> >          https://discord.openbmc.org (or)
> >          https://discord.gg/69Km47zH98
> >
> >    - Clicked "Register".  Filled out "myemail+burner at gmail.com", a
> >      username, password, and an arbitrary date of birth that is more
> >      than 18 years old.
> >
> >    - Dealt with the captchas.
>
> Actually, no, this doesn't work either.  It brings me to the same
> account creation screen on discord.com and then demands phone number
> verification again.

> I've no idea why this doesn't work for me.  I suppose it could be
> source IP address (I am on comcast cable and discord.com seems to be
> IPv4 only).

I don't really have any other ideas either.  Maybe it doesn't like the
domain name you've used for the email address?  Did it give you a
captcha?  I assume you're "passing" that.  I suspect there is something
Discord is detecting in your account signup that they are triggering a
"higher probability of being spam" setting, but I don't know what that
would be.

--
Patrick Williams