Porting a device using MCTP over SMBUS

Gyeongtaek Lee gt82.lee at samsung.com
Thu Nov 3 18:09:16 AEDT 2022

Hi Team,

I had a couple of questions on implementing a service that communicate with a device using MCTP over SMBUS.
It would be appreciated if anyone give me some clarification.

In my observation, there is already libmctp package which is an implementation of  MCTP.
However, libmctp doesn't have a binding for SMBUS.
By the way, Intel-BMC has mctpd and modified libmctp package for MCTP over SMBUS but it is different from the upstream of OpenBMC
project.

So my questions are,
1. what is a right approach to implement a service to communicate with a device using MCTP over SMBUS?
  (1) Implement my own SMBUS binding on the libmctp of OpenBmc project and use it
  (2) Import mctpd and libmctp of Intel-BMC and use it
  (3) Some other approach that I don't know about?

2. If I use the packages of Intel-BMC, is it possible to contribute the service to OpenBMC?
    I think that dependency to outside of the project may cause a problem on the CI.

Actually, I'm not very familiar with OpenBMC.
So, please let me know, if there is any misunderstanding.

Thank you,
Gyeongtaek Lee