dbus-sensors and EM maintainership

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Thu Nov 3 04:56:06 AEDT 2022

TL; DR I could use some help with reviewers and maintainers for
dbus-sensors and entity-manager.

I originally took on maintenance of these two repos after the previous
maintainer left on short notice, hoping that someone would step up to
take ownership of the reviews and maintenance.  Several years later,
and a few people have stepped up for portions of those codebases, for
which I'm personally very grateful, but reviews are still a
significant amount of time, and I'm struggling to keep up.

For EM, Vernon is still listed as a maintainer;  Is that something
you're still interested in?  Is anyone else interested in taking a
larger role there?  There's about a couple dozen systems supported
from the EM repo today, so I'm hoping that there's some folks that
have a vested interest in keeping it stable.

For DBus-sensors, there's already several maintainers that are fairly
active.  If you guys could take the lead on reviews, testing, and
merges going forward, I would appreciate it.  In the same question as
EM above, is anyone else interested in taking a more active role in
dbus-sensors?  I'm happy to help mentor folks if they don't feel like
they have the technical acumen for it yet, and I'm willing to bet that
the other maintainers would be willing to help as well.

If anyone relies on either of these repos and would like to officially
pitch in, please open a review to add yourself to the OWNERS files of
each.  Ideally I'd like to drop myself to only a reviewer and
submitter on those components.

I've done my best to set both these repos down a good path by
documenting as much as I could.  If anyone sees documentation that
would help someone else to maintain these, I'm happy to write it.  As
it stands, the repos have quite a bit more documentation than when I
started, and have static analysis and CI testing now, so reviews are
significantly easier than they once were.  Hopefully we can continue
this trend.

Thanks,

-Ed