openbmc booting from external QSPI NOR Flash

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Wed Nov 2 06:00:54 AEDT 2022

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 05:52:05PM +0530, Nikhil V wrote:

>                As in beaglebone black it has onboard emmc. I donot want to use onboard flash or sdcard. I want that it should boot from external spi flash (I have also set sysboot for same).
>

>                My openbmc image is in ".wic" format which i flashed into sdcard through dd command. now i have connected external SPI NOR flash .

Generally, bitbake has the variable "IMAGE_FSTYPES" that controls which
image types are built.  I don't know much about 'wic' format but my
understanding is that it is for "normal" block devices, like SD / eMMC.

Many of the OpenBMC systems, which are Aspeed chip based, use
"mtd-static" or "mtd-ubi" to generate an MTD format image, which is
appropriate for a SPI-NOR.  Unfortunately, I don't know how much of the
MTD generation code is tied to Aspeed / Nuvoton hardware and how much
will carry forward for your Beaglebone Black experiment.

--
Patrick Williams