Proposing changes to the OpenBMC tree (to make upstreaming easier)

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Tue May 24 21:32:39 AEST 2022

Hi John

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 08:54:06PM -0700, John Broadbent wrote:
>> My point is, I am having trouble accepting that community pushback is
>> what causes downstream patches.
>
>Could you give me some insight on that? Why does that surprise you?

I thought I did - I listed several examples where the community has
embraced and accepted Google-only features.

>I don't want to call out any concrete examples without talking to the
>change owner first.
>(I don't want to put them on 'blast')
>
>But we can glance at my work.
>https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/53563/8
>https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/53325
>
>I have been trying to get these two changes in for the last 19
>calendar days. If it gets heldup by
>https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/+/53676.
>I might have to patch to make my deadline.
>
>The ask in PDI will take real time to negotiate, maybe months (as the last
>attempt took 5 months, and still failed)
>My schedule says I had 3 weeks to make this change?

Ah.  These aren't examples of the community rejecting your patches
because your features are unwanted.  These look like the normal
consensus building process, which, you are absolutely right, that can
take a long time (although five months seems a bit long), and be a
generator of downstream patches.

Thanks,
Brad