Proposing changes to the OpenBMC tree (to make upstreaming easier)

John Broadbent jebr at google.com
Tue May 24 07:07:55 AEST 2022

Main thoughts:

We have several patches that we apply to the project. When we update those
patches we see a diff of the patches, and it can be difficult to review a
diff of a diff.
I believe this new repo system would allow us to apply those patches to a
source tree, and manage/maintain the patches better.
>  "I have no interest in making this easier for you (if it is worse in
other ways for the project)."   - referring to downstream only features.

This is the wrong way to view features the community does not want, and
features we would not be allowed to share. There is a layer of complexity
that we use to integrate with our data centers services that only we need.
A better model would allow openbmc to be flexible enough to enable
downstream features.

Other thoughts:

   - I suppose it would make it easy for others to fork the project, but I
   don't think that is a strong enough reason to prevent consolidation.
   - The consolidation would make it easier to bring new people up to
   speed. (the system we have works fine, but I suspect the consolidation will
   be a improvement)
   - We are not changing OWNERS in the change.
   - Applications vs distribution: I have always viewed openbmc as a
   collection of application services/applications, combined with a distros.