VLAN issue with NICEnabled property

Johnathan Mantey johnathanx.mantey at intel.com
Thu May 12 06:31:51 AEST 2022

On 4/15/22 05:28, Jiaqing Zhao wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> In phosphor-networkd, setting NICEnabled to false write "Unmanaged=yes" in network configuration file. There was an issue with this property and its VLAN. Reboot bmc after setting NICEnabled to false, its VLAN interfaces disappears, and if set it to true, all previously configured VLANs for this interfaces will be lost.
>
> The reason is, since the interface is set to Unmanaged in config file, systemd-networkd will not configure the interface on boot, including creating VLANs. On the phosphor-networkd side, it creates its interface list from getifaddrs(), as VLAN interfaces are not created, they will not be added to the list. When setting NICEnabled back to true, it rewrites the config file with the VLANs in that list, so no VLAN is written, essentially removes the previously configured VLAN from the system with dangling vlan netdev and config files.
>
> To solve this issue, my proposal is to write "ActivationPolicy=down" when NICEnabled is false, this option tells systemd-networkd not to bring up the interface on boot. But it is still managed, meaning that its VLAN interfaces will be created.

This control was the result of using the Unmanaged entry for disabling
the NIC. The phosphor-network code needs to change to the
ActivationPolicy configuration option, IMO.

> But there is a question of this proposal, how to set nicEnabled property when creating the interface? Using "ActivationPolicy=down" still

What do you mean by "creating the interface"?
Are you referring to what the systemd-networkd service will do?
Are you referring to how phosphor-network captures the network
configuration in the data structures used to manage systemd.network
configuration files?

--
Johnathan Mantey
Senior Software Engineer