Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday March 16 - results

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Mar 17 04:51:11 AEDT 2022

On 3/15/22 9:45 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
> scheduled for this Wednesday March 16 at 10:00am PDT.
>
> We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI>,
> and anything else that comes up:

Attended: Joseph, Ratan, James, Mark, Daniil, Dhananjay, Dick, Jiang

1 Please review the phosphor audit design
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023
<https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023>and related
code under https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-logging
<https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-logging>directory phosphor-audit.

IBM is interested in working on  this.

We also discussed encrypting data like logs, and storing keys in a vault
/ trust zone /  TPM.

See also encrypted volume https://github.com/openbmc/estoraged
<https://github.com/openbmc/estoraged>

2 CNA work update

James is working on the OpenBMC vulnerability backlog.  First
transferring each one to our private github issues database together
with its reserved CVE.  James will share JSON-formatted CVEs with the
security response team (SRT).  Currently working to upload/submit CVEs
to mitre.  (Note these are not yet public.)

Helpful tools: formatted vulnerabilities using vulnogram.  Use
Redhat’s  Cvelib Python-based tool

TODO: Joseph and Dhananjay (as the OpenBMC CNAs): get credentials from
mitre to allow you to create CVEs.

-Joseph