Call for testing: spi-mem driver for Aspeed SMC controllers

Tao Ren rentao.bupt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 18:53:07 AEDT 2022

Hi Cedric,

On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 08:02:58AM +0100, Cédric Le Goater wrote:
> Hello Tao,
>
> On 3/3/22 07:03, Tao Ren wrote:
> > Hi Cedric,
> >
> > The "No good frequency" warning is gone after updating spi-max-frequency
> > to 50MHz in aspeed-g4.dtsi (thanks). I don't see any functional failures,
>
> Super !
>
> May be send the "spi-max-frequency" patch ? I can include it in a v3 if a
> resend is needed.

I just sent you the spi-max-frequency patch in a separate email, and I
also tested the patch with both the legacy mtd/spi-nor and new spi-mem
driver.

Could you please include it in v3 (if re-send is needed)? Otherwise I
will send it after the patches are merged (to avoid merge conflicts).

> > but flashcp ran slower compared to the mtd/spi-nor driver(~200 sec vs.
> > ~145 sec when flashcp 32MB data to flash1).
>
> Interesting, the HW settings should be the same. Was the dynamic debug
> activated ?

Thanks for asking. Dynamic debug was disabled while running flashcp
testing, but I just realized the 2 wedge100 switches are using different
flashes (mx25125635e vs. w25q256), so it doesn't make sense to compare
the performance.

I ran more testing on the same ast2400 machine today, and test shows
spi-mem ran slightly faster than the legacy mtd/spi-nor driver. Let me
reduce the other noises (user space apps eating CPU) and will share you
more data later.

But still, no functional issues observed so far. Thank you again for the
patches.

Cheers,

Tao