FW: Newbie question on Redfish URI resource names

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Jun 9 05:14:21 AEST 2022

On 6/8/22 1:08 PM, Jeff Friedman wrote:
> Hello all, New to OpenBMC, and am not clear on one thing as pertaining
> to the Redfish schema and URI resource names: The DMTF Redfish schema
> URIs are defined as: /redfish/v1/Chassis/{ChassisId}/ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍
> ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
> This Message Is From an External Sender
> This message came from outside your organization.
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
>
> Hello all,
>
> New to OpenBMC, and am not clear on one thing as pertaining to the
> Redfish schema and URI resource names:
>
> The DMTF Redfish schema URIs are defined as:
>
> /redfish/v1/Chassis/{ChassisId}/
>
> /redfish/v1/Managers/{ManagerId}
>
> /redfish/v1/Systems/{ComputerSystemId}
>
> Vendors can use their own names for {ChassisId}, {ManagerId}, and
> {ComputerSystemId} as long as they conform to the syntax rules.
>
> Question: Does OpenBMC specify names for these resources as part of
> the OpenBMC spec? Or does OpenBMC just refer to the existing DMTF
> Redfish schemas?
>
> I ask because I have seen reference to the following names in examples
> for Managers and Systems on the OpenBMC website:
>
> /redfish/v1/Chassis/{ChassisId}/
>
> /redfish/v1/Managers/*/bmc/*/
>
> /redfish/v1/Systems/*/system/*/
>
> In summary, does OpenBMC specify these resource names as part of their
> spec, or does it refer to existing DMTF Redfish schema specs?

Can you link to the Redfish spec schemas?

As far as I know, the OpenBMC project does not have a separate spec for
resource names (outside of the BMCWeb reference implementation).
BMCWeb: https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb

Why do you ask?  OpenBMC members have expressed some interest in having
the BMC control multiple hosts.  For example: system0, system1.  See
https://lore.kernel.org/openbmc/CACWQX82d9NqHatq4of=LrQoP6hfLvbMuZs948ydrThj1J1uhCg@mail.gmail.com/

Joseph