dbus prefixes (was: DBus ObjectManager Interface usages within the project)

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Fri Jul 29 10:26:43 AEST 2022

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 02:15:34PM +0300, Alexander Amelkin wrote:

>Again, why (for what purpose) do we have to obey those statements?
>What exactly are we achieving by obeying them? Do we need to achieve that?
>
>We're creating a closed system that does not interact with any
>external software using d-bus.

I agree.  The spec also recommends that we version our service names and
interfaces, but we don't do that either.

Further, outside of the OpenBMC community, DBus programming conventions
are such that the service name defines the interface schema for a given
service.  We don't adhere to that convention either.

The way I look at it is, our use of DBus is mostly an implementation
detail of our tightly coupled system.  We don't use it as an interface
to the outside world.  All of these conventions being discussed exist to
aid with the latter.

Thanks,
Brad