Firmware update for auxiliary components

Derek Mantey derekma at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 11 12:31:08 AEDT 2022

Thanks, when I was looking through some of the history for this list I saw some of your emails about the fwupd.  I tried to pull the changes in but ran into some build issues.  I am guessing we are on the "old" side of a breaking change to Yacto/BitBake and we would need to upgrade first before we could get things build.

I know I should have read up more, but since you replied suggesting it, could you tell me a little more about the interfaces that the fwupd uses?  Is it searching the device tree for devices that it can update?  Is it searching the busses directly?  Or is there a way to give hints for devices to update?

For example, we have a CPLD on our board (see the Open Compute DC-SCM spec).  We don't currently have that listed in our device tree as it is just sitting on a generic SPI bus.  Would the fwupd tool be able to update it and how would we need to specify how it should communicate with it?

Thanks,
	Derek