New repository request for platform specific Bridge IC code

Ed Tanous ed at tanous.net
Wed Jan 5 06:50:12 AEDT 2022

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:55 PM Kumar Thangavel
<kumarthangavel.hcl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>        In our system, Bridge IC will act as a bridge between host and BMC. All the IPMI commands from the host are routed to Bridge IC and Bridge IC will forward those commands to BMC.  Similarly, BMC will route IPMI commands to Bridge IC and it's forward to host.
>
> We wanted to put this platform specific Bridge IC related code and ipmb commands handling code. So, we need a new repository to add these codes or suggestions to add these codes in any other existing repository.
>
> Could you please provide your suggestions on this.

There aren't a lot of details here, so it's kind of hard to make
concrete suggestions given how short the above description is.  Can
you please put some more details in, background, links, ect  Some
questions off the top of my head:

1. How does this differ from MCU sensor in the dbus-sensors repo,
which also manages a "bridge" IC?  IPMBSensor also implements IPMB,
how will code be reused in this new repository?
2. Who is going to be the maintainer of this repository?  Ideally it
would be someone that has been a maintainer before, or someone that
can mentor in how to be a maintainer.
3. How is this code going to be configured?
4. Where is the design doc for this new feature?  How is it going to
work, what features are going to be exposed?  What new interfaces will
be needed?