Openbmc u-boot trees (was Re: u-boot:rsa adds rsa3072 algorithm)

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Mon Feb 7 17:02:59 AEDT 2022

Hi Jamin,

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 at 02:26, Jamin Lin <jamin_lin at aspeedtech.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel and OpenBMC team,
>

> This patch was applied to u-boot/master, http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20220119082323.4567-2-jamin_lin@aspeedtech.com/
>
> Commit   2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
>
> https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/commit/2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
>
> Could you please help to backport the patch to the openbmc/u-boot tree?

Sure, I can do that.

I'd like to start a discussion about the u-boot trees and how we
maintain them. Currently we have:

 - upstream; partial 2600 support
 - aspeed-master-v2019.04, SDK tree maintained by ASPEED
 - v2019.04-aspeed-openbmc, openbmc maintained by Joel. Based on SDK tree

In the past I was putting code in the openbmc tree so we could use it
for bringup, and trying to send pull requests to the SDK tree.

Now you're sending patches upstream (excellent!) and sending me
requests to merge into the openbmc tree.

I would like to see fewer trees.

In the short term, one option is we put all of the openbmc patches in
the SDK, and continue using that for openbmc. Would this work for
aspeed?

In the medium term, we should start using upstream releases. There may
still be some downstream code (as we have for Linux in our dev
branches), but this will go to zero over time.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Joel