OpenBMC v2.10/Hardknott status please

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Wed Feb 2 04:16:19 AEDT 2022

On Tue, Feb 01, 2022 at 12:40:38AM +0000, Muggeridge, Matt wrote:
> > > - The 5.15 kernel is in OpenBMC/master, which I guess will be branched
> > > as kirkstone sometime from June (based on historically OpenBMC
> > > releases branch ~3mo after Yocto release).
> >
> > FWIW, our honister branch, which should become 2.11 if we ever make that
> > tag, is also using the 5.15 kernel.
> >

> That is interesting!  How do I determine which version of the kernel is included in which version of OpenBMC?
>
> I had been checking the poky.conf file for PREFERRED_VERSION, but for honister that shows as 5.14. (e.g. see https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/honister/poky/meta-poky/conf/distro/poky.conf#L22)

Uh, I guess I didn't even think to check how you decided that we were using 5.10
for our 2.10 branch.  I don't think anyone in OpenBMC uses the default/vanilla
kernel tree from upstream Yocto/poky, which is what you're looking at there.

You'll want to look at the meta-aspeed or meta-nuvoton depending on your
hardware.

- 2.9 aspeed is on 5.10.36:
    - https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/d767d3fb1ba70f03e0e212c24f41404f1248f660/meta-aspeed/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed_git.bb#L2
- 2.10 aspeed is on 5.15.5:
    - https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/415294223a164a804e31e39c90043d15e9b153de/meta-aspeed/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed_git.bb#L2
- 2.11/master aspeed is on 5.15.18:
    - https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/9a2a1dade6b355dafe6e72cfb26732ca5e12587f/meta-aspeed/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed_git.bb#L2

Nuvoton might be slightly different.  Surprisingly they are on the 5.14 branch
in master.  I currently only use Aspeed hardware so that's what I pay attention
to.

Since you have a HPE email address, I assume you don't even care about Aspeed or
Nuvoton but really care about your own GXP hardware, so none of this is even
relevant to you.  You're going to have to get your drivers upstreamed and then
backported into one of our kernel trees.  I don't think Joel is maintaining the
5.10.x tree, so if for some reason you really want to backport onto that you're
probably going to have to have a discussion with him about how to do
maintenance.  The simplest path is going to be to be on 5.15 like Aspeed /
master is.

--
Patrick Williams