[OpenBmc][JournalD] Persisting Journal Logs

Rohit Pai ropai at nvidia.com
Fri Dec 2 01:04:00 AEDT 2022

I am running open bmc with Linux 5.15 and systemd 251 (251.2+).
I have configured persistent logging for journal.
/etc/systemd/journald.conf
[Journal]
Storage=persistent

Created folder /var/log/journal. This is mounted on mtd flash partition.
The rootfs has overlay with RO filesystem and RW filesystem coming from mtd partition.

ls -alt /var/log/journal/
drwxr-sr-x    2 root     systemd-         0 Jan  1 00:03 2b4305f670484d1fa6b9c4deee336b91

Jouranld creates a folder under /var/log/journal but I dont see anything getting stored here ever.
I don't see journal being persistent across reboots.
Journal logs are kept only in /run/log/journal, and this is tmpfs in the system and gets erased on each reboot.
I have tried journalctl --flush to see if anything gets pushed to inside /var/log/journal but nothing is stored apart from the folder name.
journalctl --rotate also has no impact.
I seem to be doing everything as per the journalctl documentation but still it's not working.

Anyone else has seen this issue, any help?

Thanks
Rohit PAI