Read CPU memory from BMC.

Jonathan Neuschäfer j.neuschaefer at gmx.net
Mon Aug 29 18:43:29 AEST 2022

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 08:30:54PM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 8/26/22 11:42 AM, AKASH G J wrote:
> > Hello Team,
> >
> > Is it possible to read CPU memory space from the BMC?
> > If PCIe connection is available from BMC to the chipset, can we do DMA
> > from BMC ?
>
> Akash,
>
> I hope not.  I assume you are asking about how to read the host's memory
> from the BMC.

Hello Akash and Joseph,

At least HP iLO BMC hardware has this feature (as documented by Airbus
security lab[1]).

In other case, the reverse is possible: Reading/writing BMC memory from
the host[2].

In any case, before OpenBMC can support reading/writing host memory, the
hardware has to support it. Which BMC hardware platform are you working with?

Greetings,
Jonathan

[1]: https://airbus-seclab.github.io/ilo/RECONBRX2018-Slides-Subverting_your_server_through_its_BMC_the_HPE_iLO4_case-perigaud-gazet-czarny.pdf
[2]: https://www.flamingspork.com/blog/2019/01/23/cve-2019-6260:-gaining-control-of-bmc-from-the-host-processor/