TODO items for the AST2600 PWM driver

Peter Delevoryas peter at pjd.dev
Fri Aug 12 16:37:09 AEST 2022

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 10:55:34AM +0000, Billy Tsai wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for your organization.
>
> On 2022/8/11, 5:12 AM, "Peter Delevoryas" <peter at pjd.dev> wrote:
>
>     > Hey Joel and Billy,
>
>     > I was looking at this thread from 2021, and I'm trying to figure out
>     > what we need to change to get the driver accepted upstream.
>
>     > CACPK8XfM4C7v3keXaxMs9SkqNzb8XWbZ6QvcZXWcy3ZKJCrvWQ at mail.gmail.com <https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/<a href=>/">https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CACPK8XfM4C7v3keXaxMs9SkqNzb8XWbZ6QvcZXWcy3ZKJCrvWQ@mail.gmail.com/
>
>     > It seems like there's a few major things:
>
>     > 1. Use one device tree binding, and one driver file.
>     > 2. Should be a hwmon driver and not a pwm driver.
>     > 3. Don't use regmap.
>
> I agree to use one device tree binding and don't use regmap.
> I will fix these in the next patch.

Ok great, thanks.

Ok, cc peter at pjd.dev

> If you have any advice, please let me know.

I'm still not 100% up to speed on this series, but it seems like having
a different kind of driver than the ast2500 is a sticking point. I would
guess that the upstream would prefer if we changed the ast2500 driver to
pwm too, or put the ast2600 driver in hwmon, but they might not like
having the ast2500 in hwmon and the ast2600 in pwm. I still don't
understand the full context of this though, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Peter