Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday August 3 - results

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Thu Aug 4 13:01:23 AEST 2022

On Thu, 4 Aug 2022, at 04:35, Joseph Reynolds wrote:

> 4 Consider migrating this meeting to Discord > Voice channels >  Security.
>
> DISCUSSION:
>
> Three responses were: Why?  Seems okay.  Don’t like Discord.
>
> Access question: Can a web client access the discord voice session?

Yes, the web client can access voice sessions. I use the web client
exclusively on my work machine.

> Also, let’s use the discord #security channel.
>
> The direct link is
> https://discord.com/channels/775381525260664832/1002376534377635860
> <https://discord.com/channels/775381525260664832/1002376534377635860>

So from this the outcome of the discussion is a bit unclear.

For better or worse, discord is where a lot of OpenBMC activity takes
place. I think something fundamental that the security working group
needs to develop is better traction with the OpenBMC (maintainer)
community. Problems that are discussed by the Security WG often have
direct impacts on maintenance of the software that makes up OpenBMC,
most of which the WG attendees are not responsible for.

Migrating the security WG calls to discord will increase regularity of
use among WG attendees and hopefully increase interaction with other
parts of the OpenBMC community where they need influence.

We already hold weekly Technical Oversight Forum meetings and
fortnightly PMCI get-togethers on the respective discord voice channels
and it works very well.

IMO Joseph, you should just start hosting the calls on discord. People
will move to it if they wish to continue to attend.

Cheers,

Andrew