Can we improve the experience of working on OpenBMC?

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Tue Aug 2 07:34:42 AEST 2022

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 5:11 PM Brad Bishop <bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

> >2. OpenBMC has too much documentation
>
> 🙂 Really?

I suspect this is an overgeneralization of what I intended to say.
OpenBMC has enough documentation to expect that new people on the
project would not be able to read all of it cover to cover before
pushing a patch, and to expect that every workflow is just a matter of
"go document that" or "Write a script to do that" overcomplicates
things for new folks.  This is not to say documentation is bad, or
"too much", but the organization to be able to find relevant
information quickly, and the "correctness" could certainly be improved
(I fully realize it's a difficult problem).  In the context of
monorepo, my point ws that less day-to-day developer documentation is
required, because we fall back to gits documentation, given we'd be
using it in a much simpler way for the end developer.