bmcweb non-standard OEM integration

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Fri Oct 29 10:05:57 AEDT 2021

On 27-Oct-2021 03:28 PM, Ed Tanous wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 9:22 AM Ed Tanous <edtanous at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 9:37 PM Vernon Mauery
>> <vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > We want to move away from patches.
>>

>Given this is your goal, let's enumerate these patches to see if
>there's a way to get the easy ones knocked out, and get next steps for
>all of them.  Overall, I see a lot of half-finished things, or things
>that the submitters abandoned immediately after opening the patchset
>upstream.  A lot of them could be upstreamed with pretty minimal
>rebase and rework.

This all started as an internal discussion about the mounting technical
debt of carrying patches internally for upstream projects. We did a
similar categorization ourselves.

>As a layman's analysis of this, most of the problems don't seem to be
>OEM schemas, and fall into a couple categories:
>1. Patches already on master, just need to rebase.

Yes. I am trying to push a mindset internally that the feature is not
complete until it is accepted upstream.

>2. Standard features that make assumptions about specific addresses,
>parts, and names on Intel systems.  I'm not sure how we would get
>these into upstream given that we need to support more flash chips and
>naming conventions than just those that Intel uses.

This is the kind of thing where it is an OEM patch, but maybe not an OEM
schema. The proposal will need to make room for this code as well.

>3. Patchsets that reimplement things that exist in the standard.  I
>think in general we don't want to duplicate things already covered in
>the standard, but I'm happy to have a discussion if your opinion
>differs.

If the resulting output differs from the original code, we need to have
a discussion on why. It may be that some of this code is actually the
same as #2. If the output is the same, but the implementation is
different, this is just code that should be removed.

>4. Patchsets that were submitted, then after review never received any
>other response from the submitter.  In some cases these just required
>minor rework to make them usable on master, then would've been fine.

Again, this is part of nurturing the changes until they are accepted. It
is work, but it is current work instead of future work.

I appreciate all the detailed feedback below. I will try to see if we
can at least reduce the size of our internal patch tree by following
your recommendations.

--Vernon