bmcweb non-standard OEM integration

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 27 15:37:51 AEDT 2021

I can't imagine that Intel is the only company on this project that has
a set of patches against bmcweb. Some of these are for features that
have not yet been released. Some of these are for OEM things that don't
fit any of the Redfish-OEM schemas. Some are for features that are
long-standing upstream reviews that have not yet been merged for
whatever reason.

We want to move away from patches. We want to be able to share our
changes with the community. Right now, there is not a way for this sort
of OEM changes getting into bmcweb. I know not everyone is a huge fan of
the way that the ipmi-providers code works, but it does work. Companies
need to be able to have those changes that allow them to differentiate
from the common phosphor core. I am proposing that we make changes to
bmcweb that would allow this sort of OEM customization.

I don't have a full proposal yet. But I wanted to get this concept out
in the open before diving headlong into a metaphorical brick wall. While
I compared what I would like to the ipmi-providers mechanism, there are
other ways to do this that can work around many of the objections that
have been raised to that architecture.

--Vernon