[Phishing Risk] [External] Re: [phosphor-sel-logger] How to add a journal entry manually

Lei YU mine260309 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:24:25 AEDT 2021

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 2:16 PM Chris Chen (TPI) <Chris.Chen3 at flex.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason and Lei Yu,
>
> Thanks for your sharing.
>
> I am able to see the sel in the /var/log/ipmi_sel as same as Jason mentioned and also see the sel by the "ipmitool sel list" command.
>
> However, for Lei's suggestion of adding "send-to-logger" configuration, I really can see it becomes an entry in /xyz/openbmc_project/logging/entry/X rather than saving the message in the /var/log/ipmi_sel, but I can't see any sel entry by the "ipmitool sel list" command. It looks like the ipmid doesn't parse the entry into an SEL record. Is it the sel entry I added (busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI /xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI IpmiSelAdd ssaybq "helloworld" "/xyz/openbmc_project/Test" 3 16 32 64 true 0x81) just a sample not a formal info? or due to other reasons?

It depends on the config of ipmid. You may be using the dynamic sensor
feature (FEATURE_DYNAMIC_SENSORS), which does not work with the above
case.
To make ipmid work with the logging entry -> SEL parsing, you need to
use the static sensors defined by yaml config, and then the code will
parse the logging entry into a SEL record.