Control and uses of USB for BMC's own internal uses

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Wed Oct 20 00:45:16 AEDT 2021

On Mon, 2021-10-18 at 13:32 -0700, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:36 AM Bruce Mitchell
> <bruce.mitchell at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/17/2021 11:55, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
> > >

> Some clarifying questions:
> There are physically available USB A ports connected directly to the
> BMC on IBM platforms?  Or are these traces within the board?
> What are these direct bmc usb ports used for normally?
>
> Considering that while the BMC use case is likely IBM specific,

Just curious - what makes you say this?

> but
> the idea of disabling a generic USB port isn't IBM specific, it seems
> like we need a model for a USB port on dbus and relate it to the
> various resources.  If and when a host interface wanted to implement a
> similar feature, we'd be able to reuse it.

The goal isn't really to disable a USB port.  It is to disable the
assorted bits of software that run when a USB device of a specific class
(mass storage, serial, etc) is plugged into it.  What would it even mean
to disable a USB port?  Would it need to be powered off?