FRU Device type one byte or Two byte Validation

Ed Tanous edtanous at google.com
Thu Nov 25 07:40:29 AEDT 2021

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 1:17 AM Kumar Thangavel
<kumarthangavel.hcl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>        We would like to validate our NIC FRU device type as 8 bit (one byte) or 16 bit(two byte).
>
>        This device type validation for our FRU is platform specific logic.

Please include more details about what this logic is.  In the
entity-manager design, anything that's truly platform specific needs
to go into the entity-manager configuration, as all other components
are common.

>  This was implemented in the machine layer.

Can you point to it?

>        We wanted to interlink this logic with entity-manager code to get the device type.
>
>        Could you please provide the suggestions on get the device type in entity-manager.

Entity-manager provides the exposes records on dbus, for which
reactors can pick them up and use them.

>        Please refer below link for existing devicebit validation in entity-manager.
>        https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/src/FruDevice.cpp#L430

I'm not quite following what this has to do with your above, given
that this isn't intended to be platform specific.