Service-config-manager persistence expectations across BMC reboots

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Tue Nov 16 03:36:42 AEDT 2021

What are the expectations for the service config manager application?
[1][2]  Specifically, when service config manager is used to enable or
disable a service (like bmcweb, network IPMI, SSH, etc.) - is that
setting expected to persist across rebooting the BMC?

I believe the settings must persist across BMC reboots.  This question
came up in gerrit review 48780 [3].

The test scenario would be:
1. Disable aservice (and validate its state).
2. Reboot the BMC.
3. Validate the service' state.
4. Repeat the above steps for the "enabled" state.

1. Is this expectation consistent across the OpenBMC community?

2. Can this knowledge be added to the service-config-manager README file?

3. Do we have test cases for each service's settings?

Joseph