Cherry-picking 5.16 commits into OpenBMC Linux?

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Fri Nov 5 15:00:35 AEDT 2021

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 03:52, Oskar Senft <osk at google.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel
>
> > > Would it be possible to cherry-pick these commits into the OpenBMC
> > > Linux tree to speed up this process? Or is this something you
> > > generally prefer to not do?
> >
> > Yes, this is exactly what the tree is for.
> Aha, cool! I'm starting to get the picture :-)
>
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/20210909004920.1634322-1-osk@google.com/
> >
> > If you take a look at the dev-5.15 branch, you can see that this one
> > is already applied.
> Awesome, thank you! I didn't even think of looking there. I thought
> I'd have to wait for 5.16 to manifest itself.
>
> I sent https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/48632 to
> forward the commit for linux-aspeed. I hope that was right? Or does
> someone (you?) do that periodically anyway? I did test (build and run)
> and it works as expected.

I normally do this, but you're welcome to do it too. I'll merge your
device tree update now, and if you could then update your bump to
include that commit I'll +2 it.

I have a slightly horrible script that does the work for me. It
assumes the openbmc kernel is on a remote called 'openbmc' (this check
also makes sure that I've actually pushed the commits that I'm bumping
the recipie to).

#!/bin/bash
#
# Bump kernel version in meta-aspeed recipe and create a commit
# message using git shortlog
#
# Customise location of KERNELGITDIR to point to your openbmc git tree.
# Run from root of openbmc checkout tree.
#
# Joel Stanley <joel at jms.id.au>
#

set -xe

SUMMARY=$1

KERNELGITDIR="$HOME/dev/kernels/openbmc/.git"

RECIPE="meta-aspeed/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed_git.bb"
BRANCH=dev-5.15

OLDSHA=$(grep -Po "(\w{40})" ${RECIPE})
SHA=$(GIT_DIR=${KERNELGITDIR} git rev-parse openbmc/${BRANCH})
SHORTLOG=$(GIT_DIR=${KERNELGITDIR} git shortlog "${OLDSHA}..${SHA}")
VERSION=$(GIT_DIR=${KERNELGITDIR} git describe --abbrev=0 | cut -c 2-)

cat << EOF > ${RECIPE}
KBRANCH ?= "${BRANCH}"
LINUX_VERSION ?= "${VERSION}"

SRCREV="${SHA}"

require linux-aspeed.inc
EOF

MESSAGE="
linux-aspeed: ${SUMMARY}

${SHORTLOG}
"

echo "$MESSAGE" | git commit -s -F - ${RECIPE}