phosphor-logging Create API with Resolution

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Nov 4 20:35:48 AEDT 2021

On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 11:53:17PM +0000, Kun Zhao wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> We have a requirement to provide the value of Resolution property at the time of log creation with phosphor-logging Create API. But current Create() API doesn’t support Resolution as a parameter, we have to do two steps (create entry, set-property of Resolution of this entry) for it.
> Any suggestions? Modify Create() API or add a new CreateWithResolution() API?

I suspect we're going to have other use-cases come up going forward where other
people want to fill in other properties, so having CreateWithNNN APIs sounds
like it'll start having clutter.

Can we enhance the handling of the AdditionalData field to take fully-qualified
property names and place those in the appropriate property at create time,
rather than placing them in AdditionalData?  What I mean by this is that if you
pass a key of "xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.Entry.Resolution" it will place the
value in the ...Entry.Resolution property at creation.  Any non-FQPN will stay
in AdditionalData.

--
Patrick Williams