[phosphor-host-ipmid] Questions about IPMI event message

Andrei Kartashev a.kartashev at yadro.com
Thu Nov 4 01:06:28 AEDT 2021

Hi Chris,

> So, I have 2 questions for this and hope someone who had experience
> with this could share ideas with me, I'll appreciate it:
>    1. Why the event doesn't appear in the "var/log/ipmi_sel" or can't
> be seen by using "ipmitool sel elist"? I expected it should appear.

Disclaimer: here and below I talk only about file-based implementation
for logs.

It is known limitation. First of all, you should aware that there are
two completely different logs: Redfish Log and SEL log. When an
internal sensor triggers threshold event, two different messages are
sent: one for redfish log and another to SEL.

The sel-logger currently designed to only handle threshold events from
internal sensors, thus it requires dbus path to the sensor as an
argument for IpmiSelAdd.
When you send external IPMI event/SEL add message, ipmi daemon doesn't
know how to handle it. Instead, intel-ipmi-oem, tries to parse the
event according to some rules and if it fails just adds this weird
"OpenBMC.0.1.SELEntryAdded,2C0401300109FFFF" to the redfish log, saying
"we got some ipmi event, but we don't know what is it".

I extended sel-logger with AddExt method, to store any random SEL entry
to /var/log/ipmi_sel, but this patches are for our internal Intel-BMC
fork and not applied for upstream version.
It is on my roadmap to update patches and submit them. If there is
demand for this work, I can try to prioritize it.

--
Best regards,
Andrei Kartashev