FruDevice/Entity Manager vs hwmon

Andrei Kartashev a.kartashev at yadro.com
Sun May 30 07:16:30 AEST 2021

Hi Mahesh,

You right that using EM+dbus-sensors you can dynamically add sensors
when they are detected. But it seems you have kind of misunderstanding
about FruDevice. Let me explain a bit:

EM is kind of "configuration manager". Main function of EM is to listen
dbus and match appearing of some resources. In reaction of this matches
EM exposes to dbus some other resources with configuration which used
by other daemons. Additionally to this, EM can instantiate devices
(send new_device command to kernel driver).
EM itself can only detect dbus entities and there are "detection
daemons" to tell EM that there is some hardware available. FruDevice is
one of this "detection  daemons" which scans I2C bus looking for
EEPROMs with IPMI FRU data. That is how you detect baseboard, PSUs and
units, but is you sensors don't have FRU, you need to implement other
detection mechanism.
Typically you have y sensors mounted on baseboard, so you need to
describe them in EM config, not in FruDevice.
Note that using EM doesn't exclude defining sensors in device tree -
you still can do this if you want.
For list of supported devices, that can be instantiated by EM, see
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/include/devices.hpp#L48

--
Best regards,
Andrei Kartashev