[bmcweb] Device Level Logging Services

Willy Tu wltu at google.com
Thu May 27 10:07:55 AEST 2021

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 3:13 PM Bills, Jason M <
jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 5/26/2021 1:50 PM, Willy Tu wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Main discussion:
> >
> https://lore.kernel.org/openbmc/CAHwn2XknKWyv6Bsq48tkvA52rHKZRFoEJgUuZUmMj6uZb584JQ@mail.gmail.com/ (a
>
> > bit outdated)
> >
> > This will be a sub-thread about logging services that will be used to
> > support Drive (and could support others).
> >
> > For bmcweb, I am wondering if we can support custom logging services
> > other than the static ones that we have in
> >
> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/redfish-core/lib/log_services.hpp
> .
> >

> I am thinking about supporting custom log service at a device level that
> > can be exported by different hardwares log entries that are more
> > specific. Then at each device resource can link  the Status.Condition to
> > the LogEntries.
> >
> > Initial Idea,
> >
> > For example, I want to have log entries for Drive devices.
> >
> > ComputerSystemId could still be system or bmc and the Redfish
> > endpoint will be something like.
> >
> > ```
> > /redfish/v1/Systems/system/LogServices/Drive0LogService/Entries
> > ```
> Specifically regarding the endpoint, we have considered a similar
> approach for publishing a LogService for a memory device.  I don't know
> if we have finalized our proposal to the DMTF yet, but we were thinking
> it would be better to add a LogService to the individual resource rather
> than keep everything under Systems/system.
>
> If the same idea is applied for your drive devices, each drive resource
> in Redfish would also contain its own LogService.

I was thinking of adding this without new Redfish changes. What changes are
you suggesting for Redfish?

The Drive0LogService -> {LogServiceId} can be different for each device
resource. Is this what you were thinking?
I think we have to keep it under one System and System/system is already
used for pretty much all paths under System.

Yeah, I was thinking of the same idea. Each drive resource will have its
own LogService.

I was thinking about having the new log service as an EntryType of OEM.

Maybe need to add a new property in
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/Entry.interface.yaml
for OemRecordFormat.

> > On the D-bus side, the service exporting the log can add log entry
> > <
> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/Entry.interface.yaml
> > under.
> >
> > We can have
> > ```
> > /xyz/openbmc_project/logging/device/drive_0
> > |__/xyz/openbmc_project/logging/device/drive_0/entry/...
> > ```
> >
> > We can parse the `xyz.openbmc_project.ObjectMapper` at
> > `/xyz/openbmc_project/logging/device` with depth of 1 to get all the new
> > device log services and so on.
> >
> > Please let me know if there are any questions about it. If no one is
> > against it, I'll work on implementing it.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Willy Tu
> >

> > Best,
> >> Willy Tu