Time for C++20.

Bills, Jason M jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com
Tue May 18 01:18:03 AEST 2021

On 4/14/2021 1:11 PM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Per [1], as a project we've generally committed to using the latest C++
> standard.  C++20 was released in early Sept. 2020 and already had pretty
> decent compiler support at the time it was released.  We're currently
> using GCC10 and according to [2] it has support for nearly every C++20
> feature I could see us regularly wanting to use(*).  It seems like it
> is a reasonable time for us to move on to it.
>
> * - Except I recall seeing some mention of std::source_location being
>      useful to fix some of the issues with phosphor-logging, but that
>      won't be available until GCC11.
I just remembered and was excited to finally use std::format only to
find that it isn't available in GCC.  Even the example code on the
reference page fails to run:
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/utility/format/format. :)

I couldn't find anywhere that GCC has plans to include std::format.
Does anyone know if or when std::format might be added to GCC?