Security Working Group - Wednesday May 12 - results

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Mon May 17 09:15:55 AEST 2021

On Sat, 15 May 2021, at 04:32, Joseph Reynolds wrote:

> In general, it is hard to know who to contact.

I think it deserves some effort, no? Talking in abstractions doesn't
help as we're not discussing the abstract but specific patches, some of
which you've left a comment against.

Equivalently, saying "In general, it is hard to build secure systems"
and then not putting in any further effort as a consequence isn't
acceptable - we need to do the work; narrow the statement from the
abstract to the specific do our best to mitigate risks. That same
strategy of narrowing the abstract to the specific applies here.

Given you've already commented on one of the patches I don't think it's
a big leap to look at who the author is and include them on related
discussions in other mediums.

So anyway, I think this open source process works best if we recognise
that resolving issues requires bringing people together, and not
treating the work as some kind of abstract process. I feel like
broadcasting (1-to-many) the minutes here without including the people
impacted by the discussion creates a separation. Let's put the effort
in to bring the right people into discussions from the outset.

> Note
> that I am following up on this item privately through other channels.

Okay, hopefully I'm included on those discussions too.

> Finally, during the meeting, I encouraged attendees to make comments in
> the relevant gerrit review process.

Great! I hope we can capture the concrete concerns in the patch
comments and work to resolve them.

Andrew