Add phosphor-fan configuration for the fan which added by dbus-sensor

Matthew Barth msbarth at linux.ibm.com
Wed May 12 04:25:25 AEST 2021

On 5/11/21 9:11 AM, Thu Nguyen wrote:

> On 11/05/2021 01:14, Matthew Barth wrote:

>>> [Thu]
>>>
>>> 1. No. Dbus-sensor provided three difference path for one fan:
>>>
>>> /xyz/openbmc_project/control/fanpwm/<Name> have xyz.openbmc_project.Control.FanPwm.Target to control fan.
>>>
>>> /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/fan_tach/<Name> have fan tach value in xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value.Value.
>>>
>>> /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/fan_pwm<Name> have fan Pwm value in xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value.Value.
>>>
>> Ok, so then fan monitor would need to have the path given for the target and a separate path given for the sensor(feedback). My preference would be to have an optional `target_path` and optional `sensor_path` configuration options for the list of sensors on a fan to be monitored. These should be optional in the YAML based configs so we dont have to update all the configs of the systems upstream that were using YAML based fan monitoring.
> Yes, In that case we have to support two more option in phosphor-fan-monitor.
>>
>>> 2. I tried to update fan control to support "target_path" option, but still have issue with fan monitor.
>>>
>> This is fine as an optional argument in the fans.yaml file for fan control since it only deals with fan targets.
>>> 3. I wonder when I set has_target=false in monitor.yaml, the fan functional in inventory is set as false.
>>>
>>> If don't have the fanpwm value, fan monitor should bypass checking fan failure in programming speed.
>>>
>>> Is this right?
>> No it should not bypass it. If there is no target for the tach sensor(s) being monitored to compare their feedbacks against, then what is the point of monitoring that fan?
> If has_target should always is true, then do we really need it?

The `has_target` attribute is specific to the original use of phosphor-hwmon which provided the target and sensor value on the same dbus object path so that fan monitor knew which fan sensor also contained the target property.

In what you're looking to add in supporting separate dbus object paths between where the target property is to where the sensor value property is, then `has_target` is not necessary...but as I said, what you're adding needs to be optional to the config as to not cause issues to how the current configs are written for those machines using phosphor-hwmon w/ fan monitor. The use of the `target_path` that you're adding can ignore (not require) a `has_target` attribute.