Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Sat May 1 00:25:44 AEST 2021

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 07:48:14PM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
> I intend to push Ampere specific features, you can find current codes at
> https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt.

It seems to me like all of the functional areas you mentioned we already
have some sort of implementation.  It would be better if you could work
with the maintainers on these repositories to see how it can be enhanced
to support your use case.  As I mentioned in another email thread today,
I really don't want to see catch-all repositories being created.

If you have specific features that aren't covered by an existing
repository or you feel like you've ran into a roadblock coming to
consensus with the developers already working in those areas, we should
revisit making repositories for those specific functional areas.

> It is good to have any of below can be implemented with current existing
> repositories:
>
> - utilities to flash Ampere Host firmware and NVPARM: Boot EEPROM,
> UEFI/ATF firmware, ...

Are these extra utilities or the firmware update procedures themselves?
Have you already implemented support in phosphor-bmc-code-mgmt?  There
are other systems that have BIOS update for x86 done in that repository.

> - Control boot EEPROM based on current input GPIO and log the
> information into Redfish
> (https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt/tree/ampere/altra/host-control/scp-failover)

This looks like something that could be implemented with
phosphor-gpio-monitor.  Have you looked at that?

> - Handle boot progress from Ampere's Altra SMpro, log the progress into
> Redfish and update dbus. Note that the boot progress is based on
> information from EDK2 and other firmware like ATF and SMpro.

You can probably fit this into the existing post-code repositories:
    - phosphor-host-postd
    - phosphor-post-code-manager

We recently did similar for a system where we get the post codes over
IPMB rather than GPIOs.

> - Handle events from Ampere Altra's SMpro (like Sideband controller) and
> log to IPMI SEL and Redfish.

This sounds like it should go into ampere-ipmi-oem?  I'm making an
assumption that the SMpro is an IPMB path, which might be wrong.

--
Patrick Williams