Enabling pmbus power control

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Mar 31 05:02:00 AEDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:56:56PM -0500, Zev Weiss wrote:

> Okay, to expand a bit on the description in my initial message -- we've
> got a single chassis with multiple server boards and a single manager board
> that handles, among other things, power control for the servers.
> The manager board has one LM25066 for each attached server, which acts as
> the "power switch" for that server.  There thus really isn't any driver to
> speak of for the downstream device.

This sounds like you need a driver representing those server boards (or
the slots they plug into perhaps) that represents everything about those
boards to userspace, including power switching.  I don't see why you
wouldn't have a driver for that - it's a thing that physically exists
and clearly has some software control, and you'd presumably also expect
to represent some labelling about the slot as well.