Enabling pmbus power control

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Mar 31 04:42:21 AEDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:19:29PM -0500, Zev Weiss wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 06:22:54AM CDT, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 03:34:16AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> > > (and I don't know if the userspace consumer code is appropriate - you
> > > might want to check with the regulator maintainer on that).

> > It's not, you should never see this in a production system.

> Sorry, can you clarify what exactly "this" refers to here?

The userspace consumer.

> > I can't really tell what the issue is here without more context, the
> > global name list should not be relevant for much in a system that's well
> > configured so it sounds like it's user error.

> My initial attempt I guess followed the existing ltc2978 code a little too
> closely and I ended up with all my lm25066 regulators registered under the
> same (static) name, so when I went to attach the reg-userspace-consumer
> instances to them by way of that name I got this:

I don't know what you're trying to do or why, nor how you're going about
achieving it so I can't really comment.  Like I say anything that's
instantiating a userspace consumer in upstream code is broken, it's
there for test during development of regulator drivers.  Whatever device
is supplied by the regulator should have a driver which should control
the regulator at runtime if that is needed.