IPMI SEL Parsing

Lei Yu yulei.sh at bytedance.com
Sun Mar 28 13:51:44 AEDT 2021

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 12:08 AM Bills, Jason M
<jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 3/26/2021 6:47 AM, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
> > On 3/26/2021 01:04, rgrs wrote:
> >> Hi Matt, Bruce,
> >>
> >> Yes, SELs for sensor events, threshold alarms.
> >> When a sensor value is beyond the range of thresholds, we need to log
> >> the SEL.
> >>
> >> My understanding of OpenBMC implementation:
> >> dbus-sensors/phosphor-hwmon logs d-bus errors (logging/entry).
> >> Each entry object has a "callout", that is used by phosphor-ipmi-host
> >> to convert dbus-error logs to IPMI SEL (16 bytes).
> Please note that there are two locations that SEL entries can be logged:
> 1. D-Bus
> 2. Journal/syslog
>
> It looks like you are using D-Bus which I'm not familiar with.

phosphor-sel-logger now supports either, by default it logs to syslog;
With SEL_LOGGER_SEND_TO_LOGGING_SERVICE enabled, it logs to
phosphor-logging which is on D-Bus.

You could call the same APIs ("IpmiSelAdd", "IpmiSelAddOem") to create SEL logs.

--
BRs,
Lei YU