Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday June 23 - results

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Jun 24 13:12:10 AEST 2021

On 6/23/21 8:45 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
> scheduled for this Wednesday June 23 at 10:00am PDT.
>
> We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI/edit>,
> and anything else that comes up:

Attended:

Joseph Reynolds, Andrei Yadro, James Mihm, Bruce Mitchell, Chris Engel,
Daniil Engranov, Dhananjay Phadke, Jiang Zhang.

We switched the order of topics from the original agenda.

Note the July 7 meeting is tentatively cancelled unless someone hosts
and runs it.

BONUS ITEM:

1 How can the security response team track items reported to openbmc?

DISCUSSION:

Urgency?  The security response team is not losing track of issues, but
is having difficulty keeping focus on issues.  Will create a spreadsheet
of currently open issues and email it to the private email list.

We want a database to track issues (see ideas below).

The database needs to be secure.  Meaning (a) a secure database which
has an active security community, (b) hosted on a secure system, (c)
handled by a trusted admin.

Options for secure database:

 1.

    Redmine

 2.

    Github based?  Does github have a solution?  TODO: Joseph to look at
    a private issues database.

 3.

    Bugzilla?  Note UEFI uses bugzilla with a “security attribute”

Idea: Set up a secure bug database on a server donated to OpenBMC.
TODO: Joseph talk to AndrewG

TODO Joseph to ask for help from the Linux Foundation.

> 1. Gerrit review BMCWeb “Automate PrivilegeRegistry to code”
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/43939
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/43939>.

Gerrit review BMCWeb “Automate PrivilegeRegistry to code”
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/43939
<https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/43939>.

DISCUSSION:

Item 1:

Yes, the consensus is: please separate the tools to (A) download the new
privilegeRegistry JSON file, and (B) transform a Redfish
PrivilegeRegistry into the privilege_registry.hpp header file.  The tool
(B) to transform a Redfish PrivilegeRegistry into the
privilege_registry.hpp header file should run when the image is being
built, that is, during bmcweb build-time.

Item 2: Joseph brought up the Redfish spec DSP0266 and described how the
Redfish operation to privilege mapping worked, and described privilege
overrides.  The consensus was: the way BMCWeb currently handles property
overrides and subordinate overrides seems okay.  And: having separate
follow-on commits to change which privileges are required seems like the
right approach.

- Joseph