Changing LEDs status in response to Power Events

Maxim Sloyko maxims at google.com
Thu Jan 7 11:52:32 AEDT 2021

Hi all,

We would like to change the state of some of the LEDs in response to some
power events. For example, if the system goes from Standby to On, the LED
needs to change from blinking fast to blinking slowly.  The way we are
doing it right now is we have a script that runs every second, polls system
state over D-Bus (xyz.openbmc_project.State.Chassis and
xyz.openbmc_project.State.Host) and then, again over D-Bus, ask
phosphor-led-manager to switch LED into a new state. This does not sound
like a good solution to me, so I have a few questions:

0. Did I miss some existing way to do it in OpenBMC?
1. If not, does anybody have the same problem and how do you solve this?
2. If not, Is anybody working on a solution for this?
3. If not, any thoughts on what's the best way to handle this? I can see at
least two approaches:
   a) Implement some callbacks in x86-power-control, so that one can
register their services/targets to be notified of the event.
   b) Implement this in phosphor-led-manager, so that it can listen to
D-Bus events and respond to them.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

--